Michelle Roberts, Hastings, 2009, Acrylic on canvas.
Michelle Roberts is a Bexhill-based artist whose paintings and drawings are ambitious in scale, conception and realisation. Her subjects arise from the realm of lived experience, such as a holiday, a visit to the ‘Dinosaur World’ exhibition, or the thrill of an Air Show, whilst other works celebrate events such as the Diamond Jubilee, Remembrance Day, or films that she has seen. While photographs serve as references, they are mere hints and prompts rather than images to be copied. Roberts’ meticulous drawing style intricately dissects shapes and forms, creating patterns with unwavering precision and control, with compositions that come to life through vivid colour. Through detailed yet joyful execution, Roberts invites the viewer to explore each of these vibrant universes, drawing our attention to the different ways that we remember.
Roberts’ solo exhibition is programmed in collaboration with Outside In, following the artist winning first prize at Outside In’s national open exhibition, Humanity, in 2023. Roberts is a member of Project Art Works, a collective of neurodiverse artists and activists based in Hastings, and was previously included in the group exhibition, In the Realm of Others at the De La Warr Pavilion (2015).
Roberts recent exhibitions and residencies include Residential, Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art (2023); Humanity, Outside In’s exhibition at Sotheby’s (2023); documenta fifteen, Kassel, Germany (2022); Coastal Currents, Project Art Works studio, Hastings (2022); Ignition, Hastings Contemporary, Hastings (2021); Turner Prize 2021, Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, Coventry (2021), and Putting Ourselves in the Picture, Fabrica Gallery, Brighton (2019).
- By Rail
Direct trains go from London Victoria, Brighton and Ashford to Bexhill.
There are also trains from London Charing Cross, changing at St. Leonards Warrior Square and from London Bridge or Charing Cross going to Battle. Battle is only a short taxi journey away (15 mins approx).
Visit www.nationalrail.co.uk for up-to-date train travel information.
Town Taxis: 01424 211 511
Parkhurst Taxis: 01424 733 456
- By Car
If driving from the London area:
Take the M25, then A21 to Hastings. Turn off at John‘s Cross and follow the signs to Bexhill.
Take the A22 to Eastbourne, go across the Bishop roundabout to the A271 and follow the signs to Bexhill and the seafront. The De La Warr Pavilion is on the Marina.
From the Brighton area:
Follow the A27 out of Brighton until you arrive in Bexhill On Sea.
Please be aware the Rother District car park outside the De La Warr Pavilion operates paid parking until 7pm. After this time parking is free. There is also lmiited free car parking along the seafront.
Within the limits of this Grade One listed building, the De La Warr Pavilion strives to be fully accessible with a range of facilities to support your visit.
Assistance Dogs are permitted into the building.
Please contact the Box Office on 01424 229 111 to arrange a visit.
Facilities for disabled visitors
- Ramped access at the front of the building
- A low counter at the Box Office and Information Desk
- Disabled toilets on two floors
- A lift to all floors
- Accessible galleries on both floors
- An accessible Café
- Spaces for wheelchairs in the auditorium for seated events
- Ramped access in the auditorium for events during the day
- Ramped access into the Studio
- Two travel wheelchairs are available for use at the De La Warr Pavilion. To reserve, please call our box office and information desk on (01424) 229111 or ask a member of staff on arrival. The chairs are provided on a first come, first served basis and are intended for use inside the Pavilion. Please contact us for more information.
Facilities for blind or visually-impaired
- Large print season brochures
Facilities for the hard-of-hearing
- An T-Switch induction loop in some areas of the auditorium (please indicate when booking as this facility is not available on the balcony)
- British Sign Language interpretation tours of the building and exhibitions are available on request.